North Korean food is often described as having a unique tanginess derived from flavors of sweet, sour and spicy. These sweet and spicy glazed meatballs will not disappoint as they offer up mouthwatering flavors that will leave you hungry for more. Perfect for weeknight snacking or as a meal served over rice.
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Gochujang (Hot Korean pepper sauce)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
1. In a food processor, process the bread until you get fluffy bread crumbs.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together ground beef and pork, onion, egg, breadcrumbs, soy sauce, garlic and ginger.
3. Form the mixture into small balls. About 1 Tbsp of the meat mixture.
4. Using a non-stick pan cook the meatballs on medium heat turning frequently until fully cooked. Do this in batches as to not over-crowd the pan. When finished cooking, transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
5. To prepare the glaze add soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, vinegar, and Gochujang sauce in a saucepan. On medium heat bring to a simmer.
6. Mix cornstarch and water together and add it into the simmering sauce. Stir and let thicken for an additional 1-2 minutes.
7. Add the meatballs to the glaze and gently stir to coat evenly.
Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds and serve with rice.