The Best Chicken Shawarma Ever
Created by Kari Ray
Chicken Shawarma is a wildly popular food found all around the Middle East. It is typically served at restaurants where it is carved directly off a rotisserie grill. But, we’ve learned a few tricks that will bring this succulent chicken, with rich flavors of garlic, paprika and cumin right to your dinner table. Pile it high on fresh pita with a salad and yogurt sauce and you’ll be in culinary heaven!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Flat bread
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag (or bowl).
- Add the chicken into the bag and coat evenly. Marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Combine the yogurt sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well.Cover and put in the fridge until ready to use.
- Remove chicken from bag (or bowl), and bake on a foil lined baking sheet at 425°F for 20 – 25 minutes or until browned and lightly crisp in places.
- Remove from the oven and dice chicken in small 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place the diced chicken in a hot, non-stick skillet, and crisp the chicken until desired crispiness is achieved.
Serve Shawarma with flatbread, salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber) and the yogurt sauce. We love to pair it with our Sumac Spiced Red Onions here.