- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground fenugreek (optional)
- 1 8-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large stock pot.
- Add onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and fresh ginger and sauté for an additional minute.
- Stir in spices. Cook for 1 minute until spices are toasted and fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, potatoes, carrots and chickpeas and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover pot and simmer for an additional 20 minutes until stew is thickened and potatoes and carrots are very tender. Salt to taste.
Serve with warm bread and enjoy.