This chicken is simply divine. Generously rubbed with exotic spices and grilled to perfection, it will be a hit at your next barbecue. Make sure to complete your meal with grilled potatoes and vegetables and enjoy the taste of Africa!
- 3 lbs chicken quarters, with bone and skin
- 1½ tsp hot chili powder
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground fenugreek
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Mix all the spices with the oil until it makes a smooth paste, then rub this all over the chicken. Cover and leave this to marinade in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Heat a barbecue to medium/low heat. Season the chicken and place it skin side down. Cook over a low heat for 15 -20 minutes until deep golden, then turn over and repeat on the other side. (You want this to be over a low heat but to be lightly sizzling – if it is too hot it will burn on the outside.) Continue to cook like this for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the chicken, turning the chicken over every 10 minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn. The chicken will take 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes to cook depending on its size. Check the chicken by inserting a skewer into the middle – if clear juices run out, it is ready. Or insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat (do not let it touch the bone) when temperature reads 165 degrees the chicken is done.
- Transfer to a chopping board and leave to rest for around 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite side dishes.