Just in time for those cold Autumn evenings, a hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup that has been made over to include more in-season vegetables. This twist on the classic soup takes the flavor to a new level and leaves people hungry for more!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (seeded unless you want more spice)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, julienned or shredded
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I use rotisserie)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- Tortilla strips
- Sliced jalapeño
- Lime slices
1. Shred chicken and set aside.
2. In a large stock pot, add the olive oil and sauté for 5 minutes or until transparent.
3. Add garlic, jalapeño and cumin seeds and continue to sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
4. Add broth, tomatoes and water stir to combine.
5. Add zucchini, cabbage and carrots.
6. Stir in chili powder and cumin.
7. Simmer until vegetables are tender but not falling apart. Stir in chicken, cilantro and lime juice.
8. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot and top with garnish of your choice.