- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- Hot chili pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground beef or lamb (or a mixture of both)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 egg white, whisked
- pizza dough (homemade or store bought), rolled thinly (enough to make 8 6-inch squares)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the onion and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
3. Add paprika, black pepper, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and chili pepper (optional) and stir until combined.
4. Add the meat to the pan and mix well. Brown the meat mixture for about 5 minutes then add the parsley and tomatoes. Continue to cook for 5 - 10 more minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. In a dry skillet, toast the pine nuts, stirring constantly.
7. Cut 8 6-inch squares from the thinly rolled out pizza dough.
8. Divide filling among all pies (about 1/4 cup of filling for each pie).
9. To fold, bring over each corner of the dough diagonally (similar to a pinwheel), creating a circular pie shape.
10. Place the pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
11. Brush the dough of each pie with the egg white.
12. Top with toasted pine nuts and bake at 400°F for about 10 - 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Serve hot and enjoy!