Chicken Shawarma is a wildly popular food found all around the Middle East. It is typically served at restaurants where it is carved directly off a rotisserie grill. But, we’ve learned a few tricks that will bring this succulent chicken, with rich flavors of garlic, paprika and cumin right to your dinner table. Pile it high on fresh pita with a salad and yogurt sauce and you’ll be in culinary heaven!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Flat bread
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag (or bowl).
- Add the chicken into the bag and coat evenly. Marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Combine the yogurt sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well.Cover and put in the fridge until ready to use.
- Remove chicken from bag (or bowl), and bake on a foil lined baking sheet at 425°F for 20 - 25 minutes or until browned and lightly crisp in places.
- Remove from the oven and dice chicken in small 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place the diced chicken in a hot, non-stick skillet, and crisp the chicken until desired crispiness is achieved.
Serve Shawarma with flatbread, salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber) and the yogurt sauce.
This is a really awesome meal!!!
Serving Size:1/2 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300