- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 lg red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, (deseeded if less spice is desired) and finely minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbs sumac
- 1 tbs Aleppo pepper
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 tbs ice water
- 8 flat metal skewers or wooded skewers (soaked in water)
- 2 red onions
- 2 tsp sumac
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 small bunch of parsley, chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 cucumbers, diced
- Flatbread for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and lamb with all other ingredients through water.
- Knead the mixture by hand (or using a stand mixer) until it is well combined and sticky.
- Refrigerate for approximately one hour to let the flavors meld together.
- With wet hands, separate the meat mixture into 8 equal portions.
- Squeeze the meat mixture onto flat skewers (or bamboo skewers soaked in water) to form a long thin patty.
- Grill the kebabs for approximately 15 minutes, turning once, until charring begins on both sides.
- In the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, place the flatbread over the meat to heat through.
- To prepare the onion garnish, cut the red onion into thin slices and toss with vinegar and sumac.
Serve on flatbread with garnishes piled high.